- CFA Exams
- 2022 Level I
- Study Session 12. Equity Investments (2)
- Reading 37. Introduction to Industry and Company Analysis
- Subject 2. Approaches to Identifying Similar Companies
Subject 2. Approaches to Identifying Similar Companies PDF Download
There are three main approaches to classifying companies:
- Products and/or service supplied. This is the main approach to industry classification. Companies are categorized based on the products and/or services they offer. The term "sector" is used to refer to a group of related industries.
- Business-cycle sensitivities. A cyclical industry is sensitive to business cycles. Its revenues are generally higher in periods of economic prosperity and lower in periods of economic downturn. The performance of a non-cyclical industry is independent of the business cycle.
- A defensive (or stable) industry demonstrates stable performance during both economic expansion and contraction.
- Companies in a growth industry achieve above-normal growth rates and profitability at any stage of the general business cycle.
- Business-cycle sensitivity is a continuous spectrum.
- A global company can experience economic expansion in one part of the world while experiencing recession in another part.
- Statistical similarities. Statistical cluster analysis is defined as the art of finding groups in data such that the degree of natural association is high among members within the same class (internal cohesion) and low between members of different categories (external isolation). This technique can be used to categorize companies into different industries.
Learning Outcome Statementsb. compare methods by which companies can be grouped;
c. explain the factors that affect the sensitivity of a company to the business cycle and the uses and limitations of industry and company descriptors such as "growth," "defensive," and "cyclical";
CFA® 2022 Level I Curriculum, , Volume 4, Reading 37
User Contributed Comments 0
You need to log in first to add your comment.
I am happy to say that I passed! Your study notes certainly helped prepare me for what was the most difficult exam I had ever taken.
My Own Flashcard
No flashcard found. Add a private flashcard for the subject.