Reading 13. The Firm and Market Structures
Learning Outcome Statements
a. describe characteristics of perfect competition, monopolistic competition, oligopoly, and pure monopoly;
CFA Curriculum, 2020, Volume 2
Why should I choose AnalystNotes?
AnalystNotes specializes in helping candidates pass. Period.
Subject 1. Characteristics of Different Market Structures
We focus on those characteristics that affect the nature of competition and pricing. They are:
- The number of firms (including the scale and extent of foreign competition).
- The extent of product differentiation (which affects cross-price elasticity of demand).
- The pricing power of seller(s). Can a firm influence the market price?
- Barriers to entry. Exit costs should also be considered.
- Non-price competition such as product differentiation.
The characteristics of each market structure will be discussed in subsequent subjects of this reading.
User Contributed Comments 1You need to log in first to add your comment.
The most difficult section in CFA