- CFA Exams
- 2023 Level I
- Topic 5. Equity Investments
- Learning Module 36. Market Organization and Structure
- Subject 9. Market Regulation
Seeing is believing!
Before you order, simply sign up for a free user account and in seconds you'll be experiencing the best in CFA exam preparation.
Subject 9. Market Regulation PDF Download
Regulators generally seek to promote fair and orderly markets in which traders can trade at prices that accurately reflect fundamental values without incurring excessive transaction costs. Governmental agencies and self-regulating organizations of practitioners provide regulatory services that attempt to make markets safer and more efficient.
The objectives of market regulation are to:
- control fraud. Customers may not know how to protect themselves, since the financial markets are quite complex.
- control agency problems. Financial agents often have different goals from their customers. How to effectively measure the services they provide?
- promote fairness. For example, insider trading is prohibited in most markets as it offends basic notions of fairness.
- set mutually beneficial standards. Common financial standards allow investors to compare companies easily.
- prevent undercapitalized financial firms from exploiting their investors by making excessive risky investments. Regulators generally require that financial firms maintain minimum levels of capital to reduce the probability that these firms will fail and hurt their customers.
- ensure that long-term liabilities are funded. Insurance companies and pension funds need to maintain adequate reserves to ensure they can pay their liabilities when due.
Learning Outcome Statementsdescribe objectives of market regulation.
CFA® 2023 Level I Curriculum, Volume 4, Module 36
User Contributed Comments 3
|jonan203||basically, the exact opposite of what large banks are doing today.|
|gill15||Oh snap. I didnt even read this reading but I'm gonna say it's complete.
Think I can infer what it's about from the last comment.
|khalifa92||read second comment
read first comment
I passed! I did not get a chance to tell you before the exam - but your site was excellent. I will definitely take it next year for Level II.
My Own Flashcard
No flashcard found. Add a private flashcard for the subject.