A profession is:
- based on specialized knowledge and skills.
- based on service to others.
- practiced by members who share and agree to adhere to a common code of ethics.
A profession's code of ethics:
- communicates the shared principles and expected behaviors of its members.
- generates confidence not only among members of the organization but also among non-members (clients, prospective clients, and/or the general public).
A profession may adopt standards of conduct to enhance and clarify the code of ethics.