Why should I choose AnalystNotes?
AnalystNotes specializes in helping candidates pass. Period.
Subject 3. Uses of Market Indices PDF Download
Security market indices are used:
- For predicting future market movements by technicians. Technicians believe past price changes can be used to predict future price movements. For example, to project future stock price movements, technicians would plot and analyze price and volume changes for a stock market series like the DJIA.
- To measure market rates of return in economic studies.
- As a proxy for the market portfolio of risky assets. When calculating the systematic risk of an asset, it is necessary to relate its returns to the returns of an aggregate market index that is used as a proxy for the market portfolio of risky assets.
- As benchmarks to evaluate the performance of professional money managers. A basic assumption when evaluating portfolio performance is that any investor should be able to experience a rate of return comparable to the market return by randomly selecting a large number of stocks from the total market. Therefore, a stock-market index can be used as a benchmark to judge the performance of professional money managers.
- To create and monitor an index fund or an exchange-traded fund (ETF). An index fund is created to track the performance of the specific market series (index) over time.
Learning Outcome Statementsg. describe uses of security market indexes;
CFA® 2022 Level I Curriculum, , Volume 4, Reading 34
User Contributed Comments 0
You need to log in first to add your comment.
I am using your study notes and I know of at least 5 other friends of mine who used it and passed the exam last Dec. Keep up your great work!
My Own Flashcard
No flashcard found. Add a private flashcard for the subject.