- CFA Exams
- 2024 Level II
- Topic 8. Alternative Investments
- Learning Module 39. Introduction to Commodities and Commodity Derivatives
- Subject 3. Valuation of Commodities
Why should I choose AnalystNotes?
Simply put: AnalystNotes offers the best value and the best product available to help you pass your exams.
Subject 3. Valuation of Commodities PDF Download
Stock and Bonds:
- They represent financial assets. They are claims on the economic output (profits) of a business.
- They generate periodic cash flows (interests and dividends).
- Valuation is based on the estimation of future profitability and cash flows (NPV valuation method).
- They are almost always physical assets with an intrinsic economic value.
- The financial instruments that are based on commodities are not financial assets but derivative contracts with finite lifetimes.
- The valuation of commodities is based on a discounted forecast of possible future prices (based on such factors as the supply and demand of the physical item).
- Owning a commodity may incur transportation and storage costs (periodic cash outflows).
- Commodity investment is primarily via derivatives. The futures market helps market participants with price discovery and hedging price risk when price is either a critical source of revenue or cost in their business operations.
User Contributed Comments 0
You need to log in first to add your comment.